Thursday, July 16, 2009

100 Things...

  1. I am a lefty and for all of you inquisitors out there, that is where the title of my blog came from…roughly 9% of the world’s population is left-handed (it may be around 11% now though) and I may be biased, but I believe that my lil’un is going to be a lefty as well…score one for the 9%
  2. As an addendum to #1, whenever I play a sport or try something I haven’t done in a while, I have to think about which hand I should use
  3. I don’t like people to touch me with their feet…it’s kind of a phobia
  4. Speaking of phobias…I am really claustrophobic
  5. I had a lisp when I was younger and sometimes I still do
  6. I habitually tap the top of a coke can three times before I open it
  7. I can’t throw away cards or pictures, no matter who they’re from or of
  8. I don’t think that there’s much better in the world of contemporary music than the riff of a steel guitar
  9. I have only ever had three wisdom teeth…which they say is a sign of evolutionary superiority
  10. I was born at home
  11. I have never broken a bone and have only ever had one (yes one…interesting story) stitch
  12. In the second grade I joined my school’s choir, my sister says it is because I wanted to do everything that she did (half right) but mostly it was to go on the field trips…I never knew any of the words to the songs though and mostly just lip singed “watermelon” over and over again
  13. At random times, no matter what time of the year it is, I find myself humming ‘Joy to the World’
  14. I like to drink grape juice out of a wine glass more than I like to drink wine out of one
  15. I listen to audio books…not because I can’t read well but because that is the way I find the time…in my car
  16. I am a closet Trekkie…I used to love to watch Star Trek with my brother (but only the original one or Generations) and that goes double for Star Wars
  17. I also used to steal my brothers Transformers and play with them…they were my favorite
  18. I spent the whole month of July once in Juneau, Alaska and I got drunk and sang karaoke all night in a bar called The Moose, and I am told that I was hitting on a guy who was about to get married, to a girl who was also at the bar, who happened to be a triplet, whose sisters were also at the bar, one of which I was best friends with at the end of the night, only to not remember any of it in the morning
  19. I think that the most sensuous place on a woman is the small of her back and on a man is the crook of his neck
  20. My first job was for a market research company in the mall…bugging people to take a survey
  21. Before I was 18, going skydiving topped my list of things to do, when I turned 18 and could actually go skydiving, I completely changed my mind
  22. The only organized sport I ever played was Basketball in the 8th grade, the only reason I made the team was because they had just enough people to fill the team, and I didn’t make a single basket all season
  23. My first car was a 1988 Saab 900…Sally the Saab
  24. I still have the stuffed animals that I had as a kid…one of my favorite things is a soft and cuddly stuffed animal, now I just buy them for Colten, so I can still cuddle up with them when no one’s looking
  25. My favorite time of day is just before the sun sets
  26. I have played Fantasy Football for every year since, I think it was 1997…before it was big on the internet…our draft took weeks because we did it over the phone
  27. I am very competitive at board/card games (yes, I admit it) but especially when I am playing against my brother or sisters
  28. I am a third child…of four, so I know what it is like to be an older sister and a younger sister…it is one of my favorite things about myself
  29. I actually like Thanksgiving better than Christmas, it’s my favorite holiday
  30. During my childhood we had chickens, rabbits, guinea pigs, dogs, cats, a duck, a pig (for like a week), hamsters, hermit crabs, birds, fish, even a sea enenemy (complete with a clown fish and everything), random bugs like praying mantis’ and lightning bugs, turtles, frogs, (I wanted a snake but my mom wouldn’t let me) as pets at one point or another
  31. When I was younger, I would literally cry if I saw a dead animal on the side of the road…sometimes, I still do
  32. I always wanted to be a veterinarian, with the exception of my short-lived dream of being a gymnast when I was like 8 until I realized that I probably wouldn’t be able to make it to the Olympics, so I let that dream go…now I want to be an Engineer ‘when I grow up’
  33. My biggest fear is to lose someone that I love
  34. I ran a half-marathon and it was one of the most exhilarating things that I have done, one of these days I will definitely run a marathon
  35. I have been in school, taking at least one class at some point during the year, for the past 7 years
  36. I hate Doritos, because I ate an entire bag once and got sick and ‘lost’ the Doritos…haven’t liked them since
  37. My biggest celebrity crush is Matthew McConaughey…good ‘ole Texas boy, but then, who didn’t already know that about me
  38. My favorite artist is Van Gogh, my sister gave me a Van Gogh calendar last year and until a few weeks ago, I still had that calendar on my cubicle wall on December 2008…now I have cut out my favorite pictures from the calendar and have them tacked to my wall instead…my absolute favorite is ‘Starry Night’
  39. My favorite author is Jodi Picoult, but my favorite book is Where is Joe Merchant by Jimmy Buffett
  40. My proudest moments (in order) are…giving birth to my son, graduating boot camp, completing a 13.2 mile half-marathon in under 2 hours, and completing the Dunker (even though it sent me into a claustrophobic panic attack), next up…Graduating!!
  41. I have a hard time letting go…of things and people, that is why I had less than 5 real boyfriends in my adolescence and have had less than 10 jobs in my life…I also have boxes and boxes of impertinent things, such as, the ticket stub of the concert I attended on my first official date (also a good reason for #7)
  42. The hardest thing that I have ever done was getting divorced
  43. If I were stranded on a desert island and could only have one thing from my makeup bag, it would be my tweezers…I never leave home without them, even if I was alone and no one could see me, I would hate to have sasquatch eye brows
  44. I used to get up in the middle of the night in boot camp so that I could pluck my eyebrows
  45. I have been to at least fifteen Caribbean Islands…count them: Cuba, Puerto Rico, Nassau, Bimini, St. Croix, St. Thomas, St. Martin, Great Inagua, Providenciales, Dominica, Anguilla, Guadeloupe, Hispaniola, Martinique, St. Lucia (no exaggeration!)
  46. On 9/11, I was flying in a Coast Guard plane in Puerto Rico, the Air Force Network was dialed in on one of our radios and one of the crew members called our attention to it just as the radio announcer was describing the first tower falling and then announced that planes all over America were being grounded, then we got the call to land as well. When we landed, we parked the plane and went straight to the TV in the break room where everyone else in the station was located. I watched the news for a week straight after that. My heart was broken.
  47. I have had more cravings before and since I was pregnant than I did when I was pregnant
  48. I love to sing aloud to music in my car, among my favorite songs to belt out are Toni Braxton’s Unbreak My Heart, the Dixie Chicks’ Wide Open Spaces and Garth Brooks’ Shameless
  49. I used to play the Viola and my secret desire is to buy a Viola and become good enough to join the symphony of whatever town I happen to be living in
  50. I love to climb trees! I never grew out of it. The only reason I don’t usually climb trees now is because I don’t want to look like an escaped mental patient. Although, if I happen to drink too much, it’s bound to happen!
  51. I like Catsup with my eggs
  52. The first professional football game I ever went to was on my 18th birthday, even though I was the biggest fan since I was at least 8, I have been to at least a dozen games since
  53. I’ve never gotten into an actual fight with anyone other than a sibling, other than the time I hit my best friend, Seanna, for wanting to hang out with my sister instead of me
  54. I like to position the flap of the toilet paper to be under and not over the roll, if someone else puts it on the other way, I will actually take the time to change it
  55. I was only ever sent to the principle twice…once in Kindergarten for talking (I never actually went, I hid out in the bathroom instead), and once in Junior High for not spitting out my gum
  56. I have flown into two hurricanes
  57. I sported a thong bikini once…my mom and I went tanning on a secluded beach, she was my look out and she’d tell me if anyone was coming so that I could turn over to my back…to have the guts and self confidence to wear it was a big deal for me…these days, post baby, I wouldn’t be caught in one
  58. I love to walk barefoot through grass…but then, who doesn’t?
  59. There is a field of clovers that occupies a short stretch of grass in between street blocks in downtown Mobile that I pass everyday from my car to work and back…it makes me smile every time I pass it
  60. I believe that becoming a mom is the greatest thing I have ever done
  61. The earliest dream that I can remember was when I was about 6…I dreamt that I woke up in my bed because of a light that was shining into my window, it was still the middle of the night, I walked outside to the side of my house where the light was, when I got there I discovered that the light was from the moon, which had descended into my yard and Jesus was inside, so I walked up and joined Jesus in the moon…and that was it, but for some reason, it is still very substantial to me
  62. I love to change my own oil in my car, it gives me a certain sense of satisfaction and purpose
  63. I love sun showers and dancing in the rain and the drama that weather brings about
  64. When I was in 4th grade, I was on the evening news when our weather man, Mike Burger, came to our school because our class was selected from some sort of contest or something. More to the point, I was picked to be with him on air, prior to this he talked a bunch about the weather and how things worked, but I wasn’t listening, and when the camera was rolling (live) he asked me a question about what he talked about, to which my only response was “uh…uh…uh”, he finally answered for me but it was humiliating…my mom taped it and everything
  65. I love words, Merriam Webster’s online dictionary is one of my most visited website…I also get their ‘word of the day’ e-mailed to me
  66. When Ross Perot ran for president, the second time, I went to his post election party with my dad…my dad ended up meeting and speaking with him in the bathroom, which security apparently failed to clear out first
  67. I adore expensive shampoos
  68. I love a Sunday drive out of town
  69. I’ve watched the same Soap Opera since I was a kid (inherited from my grandmother) and I wish I could stop watching
  70. I feel compelled to correct people that say ‘supposebly’ instead of ‘supposedly’
  71. I can recite nearly all of Dumb and Dumber along with the movie
  72. I only make my bed right before I go to sleep
  73. I am a sucker for a good conspiracy theory
  74. When I was younger I claimed to hate my middle name but secretly liked it
  75. I used to only sleep on the right side of the bed…now, for some reason, it’s the left side
  76. If I am walking along side someone I try to be on the right side…always
  77. I’ve seen every episode of Seinfeld and still rewatch them every time I catch one on TV
  78. Except on rare occasion, I can’t burp out loud
  79. Spiders give me the heebie-jeebies, my best friend growing up used to make me watch Arachnophobia
  80. I have to have candy (preferably chocolate) to watch Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
  81. I’m not Catholic, but I love Catholic churches because they are always open and they are so quiet and peaceful and they usually display such history
  82. Second place to a church, I love the library for its’ peacefulness and also for its’ history hidden in the pages of its’ books
  83. I secretly want to be a librarian
  84. I now know that my parents actually think that I am beautiful and special and not just because they have to say it
  85. In kindergarten I tried to kiss the boy I had a crush on during nap time
  86. I wish that I could be more creative
  87. I love numbers and black and white and fact and fiction…that is why I want to be an engineer
  88. I love classic literature, although I have hardly read any of it
  89. I laugh when I watch basketball and the announcer mentions penetration
  90. Before I joined the Coast Guard, I never cursed…not even in retelling a story with curse words
  91. I believe in one God and Jesus Christ and a non-literal interpretation of the Bible and the rest is out for jury
  92. When I was younger I was extremely shy around people I didn’t know, and I hated compliments
  93. I now love compliments…so please feel free
  94. In 7th grade my boyfriend and I were voted cutest couple in our school newspaper
  95. I like all types of people, I am very eclectic when it comes to my friends, many of them would never get along with one another but get along fine with me
  96. I used to have to match even when I went to bed, right down to the undies…that went out the window with motherhood for sure
  97. I don’t like pumpkin pie, never have. When I was like 10 or 11 I decided to try it to see if I had changed my mind about liking it, and while I was holding the pie a neighborhood dog ran up an bit me to try and get the pie…I haven’t eaten any since.
  98. In my head, I am a movie critic with very valid opinions
  99. When it comes down to it, I rarely regret the past…it got me to the present and will get me to the future
  100. I wish I were a better speaker, I am enamored by people who are good speakers, even if I don’t agree with what they are saying

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Life isn't about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain." -Vivian Greene
"Success is not final, Failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." -Sir Winston Churchill