Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Itching To Get On With It


Somewhere somehow, within the course of this last weekend I got attacked by bugs. Not sure which kind, but I think it may be fleas. I honestly don’t know where though. I started to freak thinking they may be in my house (since we do have a dog) but neither Jeff nor Colten have a single bite on them and I have seen no other evidence of fleas there. Ugh! I would say I have a couple dozen bites on my lower legs and feet, from the knees down. They are itching so bad it is driving me crazy! For the past two nights they have kept me up itching.  So, if someone reads this soon, please give me your best remedy for easing the itching. I’ve tried several different brands and types of anti-itch cream/gel but they barely dull the itching. Today I resorted to wearing pants and boots to work so I wouldn’t be tempted to itch all day.

In other news, I am one week and change into my 10-week challenge. I haven’t quite hit the ground running, but I’ve made some changes and have had some progress so far. In our Weight Watchers (WW) at work meeting yesterday I weighed in 4.4 pounds lighter. So that’s a start. I was really bad all weekend though and paid no attention to points or calories. On Saturday, I would say that I had a full day’s worth of points/calories in just Sangria alone. And that doesn’t even take into consideration the other junk that I ingested that day. I also didn’t get to the gym at all this past week. I’m trying to finish up on a project at work, so I’m hoping that once that is over with I can get into a better routine. In the meantime, I’m staying on the eating plan at least.

So, here are my thoughts on WW. I said before that I wasn’t a big fan of the program, and I would say that I’m still not. However, I have enjoyed the support and camaraderie that has come with taking part in this alongside some of the people that I work with. So, I will stick with it.

I guess my frustration really boils down to the fact that I just don’t like that darn point system. I think it is a good idea in theory and probably an improvement on simply counting calories, but I feel like it makes it all too complicated. They keep that formula shrouded in secrecy too. I mean, I understand that they need to make money. They aren’t in this to simply help people. But come on! Make it easier to be able to find points for things! You shouldn’t have to pay all this money for WW and then have to pay more money to figure out how many points something is. They say it gets easier to eyeball things and know how many points they are as time goes on. Guess what?! I can look at a darn package and know for sure how many calories there are every time.

Okay, I’ll step off my soap box now. With all of these grievances piling up, this is where the engineer in me kicks in. So, I devised a way to do WW by tracking calories/nutrition as I normally do without having to spend much more time doing it.

From the very beginning, I was no convert. I did try see how many points I was eating, but I was also keeping up with my calories on my beloved Lose It! app. I tried the WW app. It stunk! I felt I was getting a different answer every time. I want a definitive way to know how many points are in my food. I wanted that dang formula. So, I googled. I found one that was right on. I also found that my Lose It! app will export all the calorie and nutrition information to a spreadsheet. I plugged the formula in the spreadsheet, created a macro so that I don’t have to format it every time, and viola, I have a calorie/nutrition to points calculator. Problem solved.

Now, I just need to stick by my plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Life isn't about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain." -Vivian Greene
"Success is not final, Failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." -Sir Winston Churchill